Thursday 20 February 2014

Cover page and interview spread (20/02/14)


I added a justification for the 'sexual pose'


After doing research on layout/designs of music magazines I found the key conventions to be:
  • Irregular fonts and sizes
  • Bold but simple title typography, eye-catching 
  • A colour palette theme (2-3 colours max)
  • Short, capitalised sentences
  • A 'tagline'
  • A large quotation from the main article 
I incorporated all of the above conventions into my front cover and included subject topics relevant to my investigation such as gender discrimination and using sex to sell. I used a combination of bold, italic and capitalised fonts to add to the element of shock and irregularity. I listed relatively new, upcoming artists down the right hand side of the page to make the music magazine look more official and also to create a colour contrast against the black and white background. I decided to go with a black and white theme because this represents how someone can look 'plain' on the outside but be very different on the inside. I hope to finish this article with a colourful photo shoot to visually distinguish between this comparison. Additionally, I still need to work out page numbers.

Interview spread (1st double page):

After getting some feedback from other students and my teacher, I made a few changes including justification of the red lips and colour tweaks for clarity:

Justification of red lips, colour and quotation added
Interview spread (2nd double page):

Peer assessment showed that the centre quotation was difficult to read because of my chosen colours and so I changed my colour palette. Feedback stated that there were a few blank spaces which looks unprofessional. Therefore I created a collage of words (taken from my primary research) of how female singers are stereotypically labelled. I used irregular fonts/colours to reflect how 'Plain Jane' is a contrast to all of these generalisations.




No comments:

Post a Comment